The Highway Patrol of St. Louis has taken over for the St. Louis PD. Their captain is from Ferguson, and has been marching with the protesters.
From Reddit’s Live Feed: http://www.reddit.com/live/tdrph3y49ftn/
a masterpost of everything i could find on the situation. if there’s anything important i missed, please message me and i’ll add it.
(click my url to see updated links & stuff)
What the police are doing:
rubber bullet attacks
jamming phone signals?
told off someone asking for help
removed their badges and id tags
slurs and threats
more slurs/insults over phone
tear gas violence
How you can help:
petition to protect against police brutality/misconduct
food/meal drive for ferguson
what you can do to help post
find contact info for your local reps
help pay for legal fees
help ferguson links
michael brown memorial fund
About the teargas, I don’t know if anyone already said it, but in Brazil we were putting vinegar on tissues and breathing on it (ppl started getting stopped/arrested for carrying vinegar), it kinda cuts the effect of the teargas, how it burns the throat and doesn’t allow you to breath. ive seen ppl saying about the don’t rub your eyes part, that’s really important too.
i used to put it in a tissue on my wrist so they wouldn’t stop me for being with my face covered, cause they do it here, i don’t know if they’re doing in ferguson
This helps a lot. Also, when the teargas would hit us in Pakistan, we’d avoid vaseline, mineral oil, oil-based sunscreen or moisturizers on our skin because it only worsened the burning/irritation. Don’t use those. Do not swallow the phlegm/mucus, if you feel any. Blow it out/cough it out. Don’t let it stay in. Do not rub your skin.
I’m also seeing people out in beaters/less-covering and I completely understand that August is not a month where we’d like to cover ourselves with clothes but in this situation under armed warfare, please wear jackets when you’re out. The chemical doesn’t cling on your skin then and will stick to the fabric. Focus on breathing, like everyone says, stay calm. Inhale, exhale.
Smear lime juice on the scarf covering your nose and mouth. You’ll breathe better when hit. Or smash charcoal and dip your bandana/scarf in water and rub the charcoal over it. Cover your mouth/nose with this. Do not wash your face with water. It increases the effect of the tear gas.
This is a fund set up for the people who have been arrested while protesting in Ferguson. Please donate if you can and share widely. This is concrete action we can take to support the people of Ferguson. Also please call your local representative and let them know you do not agree with what’s happening. Here’s a script and a way to find the contact info for your local reps.
Please signal boost.
I feel so useless sitting here. What can I do to help Ferguson??
national moment of silence 2014 (for victims of police brutality)
share the following:
Ferguson Police Department
Email (taken off the site)
222 S. Florissant Road
Ferguson, MO 63135
For anyone who doesn’t know who Michael Brown is or what’s been going on in Ferguson
- Saturday Aug. 9, 2014: Reports out of Ferguson, MO. that a 17 y/o boy was shot 10 times by police over stolen candy
- He is identified as 18 y/o Michael Brown. The store Mike Brown allegedly stole candy from did not report any theft. Reports then claim that Brown was unarmed and shot 10 times for jaywalking.
- Mike Brown’s body was left lying in the street uncovered for 4 hours. His body was then placed into an unidentified black SUV.
- His mother said she was not allowed to ID her son’s body.
- Community members take to the streets (x). Flowers are spread where Mike Brown’s body laid (x).
- Protests begin. “No justice, no peace" chants are turned into "Kill the police" by media. Police respond to the unarmed crowd with dogs, shotguns, and this shit
- On the morning of Sunday Aug. 10, 2014, a crowd of people continued protesting, gathering at the Ferguson police station
- After a press conference, reports claim that there was a “struggle over the officer’s weapon" and that Mike Brown assaulted the officer who shot him. However, witnesses say that’s not what happened.. and they all have the same story (x) (x) (x)
- On the night of Aug. 10: Police blocked off streets (x), brought out the dogs (again), rifles, tear gas, gas masks, riot gear (x), tanks, and yelled “bring it on you fucking animals" at the crowd of protestors. They also did not hesitate to pull a woman who is 6 months pregnant out of a car, have her lay face down, and point their weapons at her
- Reports of looting and vandalism grab the media’s attention
- More pictures/footage from that night: (x) (x) (x)
- Protests continued into the morning of Monday Aug. 11: (x) demands of the protestors
- The night of Aug. 11: (x) Tear gas (x) (x), (x) (x) (x) (x) Gas masks, (x)
- Later that night: More tear gas (x) (x) (x) (x) lots of tear gas, seriously look at all this tear gas, riot gear, rifles, m16s, wooden pellets (x) (x), people shouting “hands up, don’t shoot!” and still shot with rubber bullets, (x) (x)
- Police tell people to return to their homes, returning home still isn’t good enough apparently. Police continue to shoot rubber bullets and tear gas at people who have returned home (x)
- Police shoot tear gas at media and threaten to arrest them if they don’t leave (x)
- Police think their lives are in jeopardy
- Oh yeah, the officer who killed Mike Brown is on paid administrative leave
- OH YEAH, the police declined to talk to Dorian Johnson, witness of his friend Mike Brown’s murder. But you can read Johnson’s description of what happened here (x)
- But the Ferguson Police Department said they would release the name of the officer who killed Mike Brown………. Just kidding! (x) His safety is important (x) (x) But….
- Tuesday Aug. 12: Police ban the media from the area. Ferguson declared a no fly zone (x) (x)
- Protesting continues
- Protesting rules (x)
- "Hands up, Don’t shoot!" (x) (x)
- “Who do you serve? Who do you protect?”
- Neighborhood cleanup organized (x)
- Ferguson police officer drives around QuikTrip and harasses those who are working to clean up the mess
- Mugshots of looters to be released. Officer who killed Mike Brown is still nameless.
- On the night of Aug. 12: Reports of a drive by shooting injuring at least one woman. Reports of another shooting by police, charges filed against victim .
- Protesting continues into the night, police tell protestors to get out of the streets and they respond by getting on their knees and shouting “hands up, don’t shoot!” (x)
- MORE tear gas seriously look at this shit. A witness describes the use of tear gas on the community. So much tear gas
- Mike Brown was killed on Aug. 9, as of Aug 12. none of this is being televised. Most news outlets are reporting lies (x). Several stations covered the one night of riots and looting but that’s about it. However, most news outlets are still banned from the area. The area has also become more violent since media has been banned.
- “POLICE ARE USING FORCE TO SUPPRESS OUTRAGE AT POLICE USING EXCESSIVE FORCE" (x)
- Hurt feelings *rolls eyes*
- Wednesday Aug. 13: Reports that there is NO dash cam video of the shooting of Mike Brown….. BUT
- Police are still arguing that Mike Brown injured the officer who shot him
- FERGUSON POLICE DEPARTMENT SAYS “JUSTICE IS NOT HERE RIGHT NOW”
- Police still haven’t released the name of the officer who shot Mike Brown. They also will not release full autopsy of Mike Brown (yet).
- Officer who murdered Mike Brown now has an attorney. Mike Brown’s body has been released to his family. (x)
- Mike Brown was murdered on Aug. 9. On Aug. 13 police say they will interview witness to murder
- "Race relations are a top priority" -Police chief
- State senator wants to know if she’ll be gassed again for peaceful protest
- The Department of Justice has opened a civil rights investigation into the murder of Mike Brown (x) (x) (x) (x)
- "Sit down for Mike Brown" (x)
- Streets are blocked off again (x) (x)
- SWAT team overlooks protests and has weapons drawn (x) Now asking protestors to leave (x) (x)
- Police don’t like peaceful protests (x) (x) (x) (x) (x) (x) (x)
- "Justice for Mike Brown" (x)
Edit: I’ll do my best to keep this updated. If there’s anything I missed or anything that is incorrect please let me know and I’ll change it or add it
THIS IS A LIVESTREAM OF WHAT IS CURRENTLY HAPPENING IN FERGUSON. THE POLICE GAVE THE CROWD THREE FINAL WARNINGS TO TURN OFF THEIR CAMERAS. THE POLICE HAVE UNLEASHED TEAR GAS ON THE CROWD, RUBBER BULLETS, EAR-PIERCING NOISES, ETC. THE CROWD IS RUNNING. PLEASE SHARE THIS LINK EVERYWHERE